Google Maps offers the possibility to share your current location with other users in real time, whether on a PC, iPhone or Android smartphone. In this tutorial we will show you how to share your location directly on Google Maps or WhatsApp.
You can limit sharing your location over time so your contacts can even see you “live” and your estimated time of arrival as you move. Let’s see how it works:
How to share your location with Google Maps
Previously, this real-time location-sharing feature existed on Google+, but the social network has since been shut down. Fortunately, it is now possible to share this information with others through Google Maps. Interestingly, you don’t even need to enable Location History in the default settings.
Note that sharing does not work with the Google Maps Go app. Follow the steps below to share your location:
- open google maps
- Click your avatar in the upper right corner, then select location sharing
Share your location with Google Maps. / © kwgeek
- where you can select duration (from 15 minutes to 1 day or until manually disabled) during which time you want to share your location
- then select a contact would you like to share your location name, phone number or email address
- you should Allow Google Maps to always access your location in settings
Share your location in real time using Google Maps. / © kwgeek
- If the recipient doesn’t have a Google account, you can also Create a link and email it Via Email, SMS, WhatsApp, Twitter or any other messenger
Share your location on Google Maps using a link. / © kwgeek
The people you want to share your location with will get a notification on their lock screen, as in my case, my colleague Stefan on his iPhone. You can also share departure and arrival times if you wish. Of course, sharing can be undone at any time.
How Live Location Sharing Works on Google Maps / © kwgeek
How to share your location with WhatsApp
Sharing your location with WhatsApp is just as easy. To do this, just follow these steps:
- Click the paperclip icon in the message input row
- Then press the icon with the location mentioned
- You will only be able to select your current location once or share your location live for a limited time
- You can choose 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours.
Share your location on WhatsApp. / © kwgeek
WhatsApp also allows you to unshare before the selected duration is over.
Of course, there are other ways to share your location. I naturally think of Samsung’s SmartThings app, Apple’s location feature, and even Telegram, which allows you to temporarily share the location of a given smartphone.
Do you know of another app that allows location sharing? Have you ever used this feature on your smartphone?
On the same topic, also learn how to activate private browsing mode on Android and iOS using Google Maps.